Thursday 10 February 2011

Spare a thought...

Hello dears

Just thought I'd share this link to a BBC news item about artist Shauna Richardson, who is crocheting giant lions for the 2012 Olympics. She does a form of crochet called 'crochetdermy' - which is making animal sculptures from crochet, usually lifesize but not in this case!






Oh dear...and I thought I did a lot of crochet. I've never had to plunge my hands in ice though to soothe them. I must say, that lion looks very impressive! Well done Shauna!

So for those of us complaining about all those WiPs to finish or endless borders to put onto blankets, spare a thought for Shauna.

PS I wonder if she is planning to publish the pattern....

Here is a link to her website for more of her amazing crochet work..
http://www.shaunarichardson.com/

15 comments:

  1. That's amazing! Puts my granny square to shame... C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Extraordinary, her work isn't it! I just watched the short film and went to her website, I'd seen some of her work in magazines, but these links are great, thank you. Your ripple blanket is just gorgeous ! Love Vanessa xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! And I thought I made weird things in wool - she certainly takes it to the extreme

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura's crochet work is MAGNIFICENT !! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woah! That's some dedication. Thanks for bringing my attention to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw a monkey or a gibbon (or similar!) that she had done in the Guardian a couple of months back. They are fantastically really life - really impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow... Just amazing and a bit scary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is amazing!! I love your banner - I am so obsessed with doing some more crochet at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello!

    So pleased to have discovered you today, I am now your newest follower and have been gasping in admiration at all your gorgeous colourful crochet work!
    Thanks also for sharing the crocheted heart love link with everyone, glad people are enjoying the tutorial!

    Hugs and love
    Julia x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Suddenly a granny blanket doesn't seem so hard to accomplish. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Andrea, thank you so much for the birthday-wishes! And about the fab chair.... don't tell anyone, but it is IKEA :-)
    Happy weekend, love Maaike

    ReplyDelete
  12. Her work is a-maz-ing (as Craig would say!) thank you for the link.
    love
    Lyn
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of the most inspiring crochet articles I have seen in a long time. Thanks for sharing! I love how she is pushing the artistic envelop and bringing crochet to the public eye in a really big way!
    P.S. Congrats on little Jemimah!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment here - I love to read what you have to say! x